Fri

Jun

2014

Wolf Hybrids

(Courtesy of United States American Wolf Dog Association)

“Wolves and wolf hybrids are not the pet for everyone. They must be contained in a secure pen because they can be escape artists. Caution must be used with small children – these animals play rough and often cannot be taught to inhibit their rough behaviour. They are also very protective of food and possessions. Most states require permits for these animals and in some states they cannot be owned at all.
We enjoy wolf dogs – they are sensitive, intelligent and affectionate. They are naturally hardy and are rarely prone to health problems or genetic disorders.
Have we convinced you that wolf dog ownership is not for you?”

A wolf hybrid is the “creation” of a new species.
Canis Lupus and Canis Familiaris – the wolf and the dog – once mixed, one creates a hybrid. Wolf dogs are VERY special animals, with specialised needs that require more attention and work than an ordinary domestic dog

The Lupus Foundation is against hybridising. It is not the animal – but rather the potential owners – that we have a problem with. NOT ALL hybrid owners are aware of the animal’s needs, nor are they sufficiently knowledgeable on the subject of wolves or hybrids when they purchase these animals.

In the end, it is the animal that suffers!

Usually by the time the animal has out-grown the “cute puppy” stage, the owners realise that they have a “difficult” animal on their hands. Not knowing what to do with them, they are usually “farmed out” to unsuspecting new owners, euthanaised or abandoned.

Help us to prevent further hybridising in South Africa. Help us keep the genetic strain of the wolves that are in South Africa – pure. Teach your children the dangers of removing an animal from its natural habitat. Show them the sad pictures of animals that have to live out their lives in cages – because of OUR actions.

Tell your friends and any potential hybrid buyer of the dedication, love and extremely hard work that is required in order to meet this animals needs. Spread the word! The more the public are aware of the dangers of owning a hybrid, the sooner we can cut or slow down the “gravy train” the cross breeders are on.

Write a comment

Comments: 16
  • #1

Mikhaila (Tuesday, 28 April 2015 08:37)

When we got our wolf-hybrid, we thought that we were purchasing a Siberian Husky. When we took her to the Cape Animal Behaviourist Centre, like we did with our other dog for training lessons, we were told that hybridisation was the trend and we were probably victims of a scam. Nevertheless, untrainable as she was deemed, I adored her and managed to train her and I found none of those difficulties one might have expected me to have. In fact I enjoyed every moment of having her around, even the times where she had a savagely wolfish moment or when she used to bring dead garden animals in. It is sad, though, to note how true to nature she is in terms of being an escape artist. At the place where I am currently staying, she used to take herself out for frequent walks, which I tried to dissuade her against, but one day she took herself out for a walk and most probably lost her collar. I currently have a wolf-hunt on the go (the type that doesn't involve a precious creature losing their life) and am determined to hear her say hello again (I have decided that is my most favourite sound on the planet). Anyway. This is a good deterrent article for those who are not equipped with understanding enough to raise a wolf-hybrid and I commend your efforts to put a stop to the trend that is an awful crime against a potential being.

• #2

GravyTrainBingo.com (Tuesday, 04 August 2015 06:59)

• #3

Mary (Tuesday, 20 October 2015 01:43)

I have been studying wolfdogs and have many friends with wolfdogs. They are technically not a hybrid but an inter-species hybrid. Due to this many people dont even think they are a hybrid anymore and thus is why they are calling them wolfdogs more so then wolf hybrids. People dont do the research nor take the time too. They think its just cool to own one. I have learned from my friends with american wolfdogs and I think they are amazing animals. Yes shouldnt be owned by anyone but I have friends with high contents and they so so well with them.

• #4

Jacques (Friday, 29 January 2016 13:55)

I am an owner of a wolf hybrid an I totally love him. Got Him from a previous owner that couldn't cope with him any more but my family love ou wollie. Where can I find a respectable breeder in South Africa. Would like to obtain a female.

jacquesbarnard21@gmail.com.

• #5

Eddy (Thursday, 28 July 2016 04:44)

Good day this article was really good and educational, i am still looking for a wolf hybrid, does anyone know of breeders in south africa that sells High/Mid content pups? Please let me know.

edwin.herbst@fnb.co.za

• #6

sex tel (Tuesday, 29 November 2016 18:34)

koksik

• #7

love spells (Wednesday, 30 November 2016 18:53)

kopczyk

• #8

oczyszczenie aury (Sunday, 04 December 2016 13:52)

takt parzysty

• #9

wróżka telefon (Monday, 05 December 2016 09:21)

spitych

• #10

seks rozmowa (Tuesday, 20 December 2016 08:02)

telefonicznie

• #11

sheila tour (Friday, 23 December 2016 03:34)

Thank you for the information, I had a few days looking for this information, it really helped me. from now on I will bookmark this blog so that I can go back and see the latest information.

you probably your blog visitors also took a lot of information from me, please see my article very Kindly visit our website.

• #12

sheila tour (Friday, 23 December 2016 03:35)

Thousand Islands

• #13

seks randki (Tuesday, 17 January 2017 14:47)

bungee

• #14

sex telefon 24/7 (Tuesday, 17 January 2017 16:16)

nieprzywędrowanie

• #15

TS (Monday, 23 January 2017 00:39)

We have a wolf hybrid, though we didn't realize it at the time when we got him as a pup in Cape Town. It took two full time parents to manage him for awhile there, and then we moved to the KZN midlands. He saved our lives there and then someone tried to poison him. I shipped him off to my parents on a farm in the US and my father managed him. I was back and forth a lot, and then we went to the States to care for my parents for several years... and now... they are gone and the farm is being sold we've ALL moved to the Bronx (NYC) (long story, we had little choice). He is 13 now but still vital... and it is a difficult adjustment. Only one of us can work or be away at a time. We love him more than anything. He is the most beautiful and frustratingly manipulative and complicated creature... co-dependent but no one has the upper hand in the relationship. We know he probably won't be with us too much longer. We also know he has to be the last of his line but he is so magnificent and it breaks my heart.

• #16

things to do in Belgium (Monday, 27 March 2017 05:19)

Thank you very much for the sharing! COOL..

Wolves in South Africa??

Come and see for yourself – visit our Sanctuary at the foot of Witelskop in the beautiful Tsitsikamma Forest Area

FACILITIES

• Bring & Braai area - picnic style.

• “Wolf” goodies & souvenirs at our shop

• Sound room Presentation (English, Afrikaans and German)

• Camping facilities - booking essential

• Rustic Hikers Cabins (self-catering) - booking essential

• Wolf Songs at night

HOURS OF BUSINESS

• The sanctuary is open 7 days a week.
  • Closed on the following public holidays:           25th December & 1st January
  • Hours are 08h30 to 15h30
  • Tours begin on the half hour, every hour: first tour is 08h30, last tour 15h30

HOW MUCH? (Prices are per person)

ENTRANCE FEE - NO BOOKINGS REQUIRED FOR DAY VISITORS
ADULTS - R120

PENSIONERS - R100

CHILDREN - R100 (10 yrs and under)

GROUPS (minimum of  8 people in a group)

ADULTS - R100

CHILDREN - R80 - (Pensioners and children)

SCHOOLS - R60 - min. 20 children - accompanying adults R100

Bookings are essential for SCHOOL groups only.

NIGHT TOURS
 - (MINIMUM of 8 people in a group - during Summer months ONLY.  Night tours not run unless there are 8 in your group).

ADULTS - R250

PENSIONERS - R200

CHILDREN - R200

Bookings are essential for night tours.

FEEDING TIMES - (alternate days at 14h30)

FEEDING FEE - R50

Participate in feeding the wolves.

Not for the feint-hearted.

Register at the office on site and book your spot on the "feeding team".

Adults only please as the meat is heavy and has to be tossed over the fence -  as the public is not allowed into enclosures.

R50/person/slab of meat.

Bookings are essential for feeding.

CAMPING COSTS - (Summer months only)

Booking essential - space is limited.

R300-00 / person / day.

Includes free entry to sanctuary (value R120-00/adult)

Bookings are essential to book a site

RUSTIC HIKERS CABIN COSTS

Booking essential - space is limited.

R350-00 / person / day.

Includes free entry to sanctuary (value R120-00/adult)

Bookings are essential

PLEASE NOTE: CABINS ARE VERY BASIC - like camping under a roof.  The facilities are minimal

Where:

Just off the N2 at the R102 (Witelsbos / Koumansbos) turnoff – after Humansdorp - before Storms River Bridge.

Only 10.5km North of the Storms River Bridge at the R102, park your vehicle in our secure parking area, and enjoy a 500m scenic stroll along the Elands River Trail, towards the Wolf Sanctuary Educational Experience.  Or for the not-so-adventurous, just drive up....

GPS SANCTUARY-23.99354E 33.98187S

Click here for google maps